Friday, September 01, 2006

Sunflower Massacre

A violent crime scene has overtaken my garden.

Some vermin, critter or pest has decapitated all of my sunflowers. Their tawny heads lie broken and dead, seed casings strewn carelessly about, at the foot of the once noble plants. Not a single sunflower head remained unscathed to continue worshipping the golden god of the sky. All that remains of their once great glory is the scattered shells from which their children were stolen from and devoured, and the broken combs barren of both vibrant petals and hopeful seed.

4 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous arif said...

that happened to me last year - and not just in my garden, but to nearly all the sunflowers around us. turned out to be squirrels.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger George said...

Squirrels are bad news.

Last winter they chewed through the gas line on our outdoor bar-b-que.

We damn near had to evacuate the neighborhood.

I hate the little f**kers:-)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

Anyone want to borrow my dog?

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous jenny said...

Looks like everyone beat me to it, but my guess was squirrels as well. Nasty little rodents...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter