Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I'm back.

Where have I been?

In my goddamn office.

Doing what?

Dealing with too much work and too much boss-inflicted craziness, while my blood has fluxuated between a roiling boil and a steady simmer.

My always-crazy boss has outdone himself recently.

Another young attorney quit suddenly, with neither money in savings nor another job lined up, because he just couldn't take the craziness.

No new attorneys are scheduled to be hired, so we have absorbed his workload, which makes the place even more unbearable, as 12-hour days have become the norm. At the same time, my boss questions our dedication because projects "aren't getting done fast enough." Often he is the bottleneck to completing a project. Other times he simply fails to grasp the time/space continuum: just because he wants us to get all of our projects done immediately, doesn't mean it is feasible. Nor does labelling every assignment as our "top priority" help us to organize our workload. Nor is monopolizing the support staff and ordering them off of our projects really consistent with his demands that we "use our staff" and "not waste time on administrative work that can be done by secretaries." True in theory, but deeply flawed in practice when the boss has our secretaries handling his personal business at the expense of our legal assignments.

Almost every single time I am in a conference with my boss, I bite the inside of my cheeks to prevent myself from blurting out the mantra pumping through my head, "I hate you. I quit. I hate you. I quit." His behavior is wildly erratic, but none of his moods allow for open, thoughtful conversation. Instead he bullies and barks out inconsistent order while asking questions that he refuses to listen to the answers, much less give a straight answer to any of the questions we need answered to complete our work.

Argh -- so being too busy and hateful towards work is how I have spent much of the last few weeks.
___________________

Honestly though -- I am thrilled with the rest of my life (aside from being too busy to see my friends as much as I'd like).

I did a fun century ride three weekends ago. I am totally digging my basket bike/cruiser.

Jonathan had to go to Northern Isreal for two weeks (where fears of him being drafted or hurt were far too real) but returned safe and sound. Whew.

As of Sunday, John and I have another bikey roommate until the end of the year. So far so good, but I expect more than one bathroom conflict in the upcoming day.

To be productive, I have also done some frantic networking within the City's law department. I am now in touch with the department I'd like to work for -- hopefully when the next spot opens up, I will be a strong candidate. I want out of my job so badly.

Until the work craziness slows down, I don't expect much blogging in my future.

4 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Sascha said...

I thought you were quitting that job?

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger George said...

Damn.

It sure will be fun reading about the last day at your current job.

I think you should take in a few cans of silly strings and have some fun:-)

Make sure to take some pictures.....

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Viragosilverado said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger TincĂ©ir said...

It's easy to offer armchair advice, so take mine with a grain of salt...

If it were me, I'd set a date to quit. If no other desirable positions open up before that date, I'd give my notice 2 weeks before that date and make it my last day anyhow.

Life is uncertain and short. It's not worth putting yourself through the hell you describe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter