Monday, June 12, 2006

Darwin Award Nominee

I saw a dumb woman almost get hit by three different trains at a wide, multi-track railroad crossing. Many of the train crossing deaths in the region occur because people wait for the first train, but don’t realize that it obstructs the view of another train coming from the opposite direction -- and walk unaware into its path. This was what happened this morning. I yelled when I saw the risk the woman was taking as she crossed the track directly behind the train that just passed and stepped onto the next track. We heard the furious blow of the loud horn of a second train coming from the opposite direction. The woman jumped backwards to barely miss getting squished. My heart was up in my throat from witnessing this close call.

The woman however didn’t seem phased by it. As the end of this train passed, she walked back onto the tracks – and again nearly got hit by a train coming from the opposite direction. It happened one more time before the gates finally lifted and there were no more trains approaching. The first time I yelled in warning when I saw what she was about to do – the other two times I actually started to want her dumb life to end.

I was dumbfounded by her stupidity. I’m sure that after the close call with the first train, it would take me months before I would even think of crossing the tracks when the gates are down – and certainly I wouldn’t proceed before I could see that there weren’t any trains from either direction. Not her, though.

She has a future as a Darwin award contender.

6 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Jim said...

With the popularity of prescription happy pills in this country, I wouldn't be surprised if part of this woman's apparent stupidity is related to her being hopped up on some sort of inhibition-reducing prescription drug cocktail. A relative of mine, who is a favorite customer of the pharmaceutical industry I'm sure, has a lot of "close calls" like this.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger cheamyname said...

Cool, stupidity, all of it.
Happy pills works?
Comment on my new article.
All the best

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Viragosilverado said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger George said...

Jo Jo, I'm assuming this woman walked past or under some type of warning gate?

If so, she would only have herself to blame for being splattered.

It would be a shame for sure because you and everyone else within sight of her being squished would have that memory etched in your mind forever.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger jojo said...

VS -- It did NOT appear that she was talking on a cell phone.

G -- Of course there were gates down, lights flashing and bells dinging to alert us of the trains.

Obviously her senses and judgement are superior to those artificial barriers, though.

She also did not appear to be homeless, but instead was rather well-dressed woman in her 30s who most certainly works in an office.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous jeremy said...

This is what one would call "evidence for the theory of natural selection".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter