Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Bike Basket Pen Pal

Two or three weeks ago I was unlocking the Breeze in front of my apartment to go to work. A woman walking on the sidewalk approached me. Despite her sleek appearance and presence, she burst into a babble, "I love your bike! it makes me so happy when I see it! I love the windchimes! It is so delightful!"

I babbled my thanks in return, saying that I had hoped my bike would bring people smiles and joy. I smiled on the ride into work.

When I left my office, tired after preparing for the trial, I noticed a note in my basket:

I complimented you on your windchimes this morning. I’m on a break between classes and decided to wander around. What a pleasant surprise to come across your bicycle again today. Just had to drop you a note, I couldn’t resist. Anyway.. Hope your day is filled with wonderful surprises.

Anjanette (I live in your neighborhood)

I was giddy with delight upon reading the note. My smile was ear to ear and I giggled to myself as I happily rode home.

On Monday, I took the Julep into work and left the Breeze behind with a reply note in her basket:


Anjanette,
Thanks for the compliment the other morning about the windchimes! Getting the surprise follow-up note when I left work completely made my day – I smiled all the way home. Glad to know there are more people delighted by whimsy – and unafraid of strangers.
Hope your classes went well.

--jojo

She replied the same day:

I was so happy to get your note today. I was on my way to an interview and I got the job. Your note seemed like my good luck charm! I have an old yellow Schwinn named Lulu
–Anj



I was damn near dancing I was so happy to see her note. This exchange is super-fun! I decided to invite her to our BBQ this Sunday:

Anjanette,
Congratulations on the new job! If you are interested, my apartment is having a grill-out this Sunday after Bike the Drive. I’ll leave more details if you indicate you might come – it would be nice to meet Lulu.

I hope she replies....

7 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

that is very cool!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger George said...

I agree, way cool.

You meet the nicest folks riding a bike.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous hamgray said...

Yes, you do meet the nicest people.

Unless she's stalking you! (Let's hope that's not what's happening)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Rick J said...

Thanks for sharing that exchangge, I am waiting to see what happens next, please keep us informed.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger annie said...

How very Amelie...

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger huitzilin said...

What kind of basket do you have? I just bought a bike this weekend and am beginning to realize all the possibilities it affords me. I'm looking around (on the net) at baskets and have no idea of what to look for. (The guy at the bike shop gave me a scornful look when I asked about a basket.)

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger jojo said...

Lori,

I have a cute front basket that detaches very easily for shopping. I have a picture on another post:

http://denofawkwardness.blogspot.com/2006/04/close-calls.html

I don't know the name/brand or anything -- but so far it works great!

You can also get a rear rack to strap things onto -- including rear baskets/paniers, for easy hauling.

Don't let your bike shop intimidate you. Seriously.

Welcome to biking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter