Thursday, May 04, 2006

60th Wedding Anniversary

My grandparents are celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary this weekend, so me and the bros are meeting up in hometown, WI.

Very fun and exciting. The idea of sharing a home and every day together for sixty years with another person is awesome to consider. Their lives have been completely interwoven for as much longer than I have existed. They worked the farm together during this time, raised their children and shared friends. They still live in the same house, with the same barn on the same land as my grandfather was born in and my grandmother lived after they wed. As a twenty-eight year old, single person, this is mind-boggling to fathom -- but in a good way. They are reaching a milestone that I do not have illusions of reaching myself.

What is even harder to recognize is that they are both becoming painfully aware of their age. Friends of theirs keep dying as their own health slowly falters. Many conversations with them are sprinkled with comments about their own mortality. As much as I hate to think about it, they are getting older and will eventually be gone. Me laughing off these comments doesn't negate the inescapable truth. Neither my grandma's spunk, nor my grandpa's piss and vinegar can hold off the inevitable.

Sixty years together. wow. The anniversary cards at the store stop at 50 years.

After sixty years of marriage, how will one of them continue to function when the other is gone? I hate thinking these thoughts, but they keep creeping into my mind.


With a twinge of bitter to tinge the sweet, their life together will be celebrated by our family. It will be good to see them and the farm this weekend.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Randy said...

I lost my Mom three years ago, my Dad is still...living. He functions, but it is as though he is waiting for the inevitable.

I can't prepare you for this, it is hard, good luck.

Randy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter