Thursday, March 09, 2006

Operation: Grand Canyon

Frick suggested that he and I and big brother take an interesting trip this summer involving bikes, camping and the Grand Canyon.

The tentative idea is to disasemble our road bikes and strap them onto our hiking packs, descend the Grand Canyon, hike across it, ascend on the opposite rim, reassemble the bikes and bike the 250ish miles back to the starting point.

It will be comfortable at the top and up to 115 degrees on the bottom. My recollection is that the biking route will be covered in broken glass. What could go wrong?

So the biggest question is, "Big Brother -- are you free for the Fourth of July?"

4 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Randy said...

Assuming you have a nice, light road bike with light wheels, that you could carry on your back without too much discomfort, with your gear, how are you then going to carry your backpack and gear on yer nice, light roadbike for the 250 miles?

I see a trip to www.panpack.com in your future to fix these problems, but still, sounds tough.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Frick said...

It would only be 4th of july weekend if I don't do Primal Quest. Otherwise, it would probably be best some time in fall, or next year.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger TincĂ©ir said...

If you put S&S couplers on your bike, they make a backpack case for it. Check out: http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_back.htm

I love my S&S coupled Surly: http://raven.subsume.com/SurlyWebPage.html

It was great on my recent traveling adventures.

-keith

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Frick said...

I really like those couplers. It's a good idea that they seem to have executed very well.

I personally wouldn't use a pack like that. It doesn't look like it has a waist strap, or any sort of suspension system period. Although it is probably better than carrying the bag in your hand, I wouldn't trust it for anything technical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter