Monday, January 23, 2006

Moral (Bicycle) Dilemna

A friend posed this question to me over the weekend:

How long after a bicycle is 'abandoned,' locked to a rack, before is it fair game to strip it of parts?

The facts of the particular situation are as follows:

The beater bike is locked to a rack with an $80 lock.
It has a flat tire.
It has been there, seemingly unmoved, for eight months.

My friend wants the rear rack, and has confessed to already taking one of its skewers when she found hers stolen after work one day. So yea or nay -- should she snag the rack?

Beyond this specific bicycle........what do others consider to be the rules or etiquette involved with scavenging parts off of bikes? How long is reasonable to assume that the bike is truly abandoned?

Oh yeah, I sucked royal ass at Stage Two on Sunday. For me, this type of race should be called a 'scaredycat' instead of an alleycat. I did TWO u-turns in the first stage, including the oh-so-public display as I missed the checkpoint, thinking it was two blocks south in front of the sizeable crowd. Very smooth. Good thing the Julep is so recognizeable......... Humility is good for character...right?

4 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger George said...

I'd think 8 months would be safe but since you're an attorney, it would look really bad if you got arrested for jacking parts of a bike.

Maybe ask the Chicago cops?

Better to be safe then sorry.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger jojo said...

Sorry George, I'm not looking to scavenge any parts off of bikes.

My friend is a high school teacher -- I suppose getting caught stealing from a possible student's bike isn't the greatest situation ever.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Frick said...

15 minutes
10 if something else has already been taken off it

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous JoeDell said...

NEVER. Stealing is stealing. Time is not a factor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter