Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Oh the Bullshit

Next Monday I leave for Amsterdam – my first trip out of the USA. I’m super excited/nervous/thrilled about this trip. My baby brother Frick flew out to London yesterday and he will meet me at the airport, hopefully. There is a ton of stuff I want to do before I leave, namely:

1. Plan out things to do on the trip and buy/pack everything I need;
2. Finish all of my projects at work due before I leave;
3. Boring stuff like laundry and paying bills; and
3. Fun stuff with friends, including a holiday party Saturday night, farmers’ market, Paul’s party on Friday night.

Guess which one of these things is threatening the others?

Surprise!! It’s #2!

I have two big projects that shouldn’t have been a problem to finish in time. They were front and center on my plate. Then Wednesday of last week I got put on an ‘emergency research assignment’ to help another associate submit his motion on time. This assignment was supposed to only take one day, but it kept getting stretched out and consumed almost three full days last week.

Then today my partner comes into my office and adds onto the biggest project that I am already sweating. Grrrr..... About an hour after that, he comes into my office and gives me a DCFS case because I was the only associate in the office at the time. Why was I the only associate in the office?–because the others were on lunch, but I forewent lunch to try to get a rough draft of my large project finished tonight. So instead of getting to work through lunch, I had to drop my big project to go on the DCFS call.

For those not paying attention, I hate. Hate. HATE. HATE. HATE these assignments under ideal circumstances. Once again the cops gave me a hard time, skeptically demanded to see my attorney ID because they needed proof that I was a lawyer and then took me to my client and (grrrrr!?!?) congratulated my client because, ‘she’s good-looking, if nothing else.’ Dear. Fucking. Lord. To add to their insulting ickiness, I also got to hear the cops joking with each about Halsted St (Chicago’s gay male neighborhood). Swell bunch of guys. Chicago's Finest. Really.

Anyway, aside from the asshole cops fouling my mood, I lost several hours of work today because of this stupid DCFS case. These lost hours, along with the increased assignment forced me to cancel plans tonight and I fear for my weekend. I am going to Amsterdam as scheduled come hell or high water, but I don’t want to either leave things hanging for other people or wreck my whole weekend working on finishing projects that shouldn’t have been a problem completing were it not for these continual interruptions.

Mentally, I am in the mind set of a teenage girl, stomping her feet furiously, but ultimately impotently, at the unfairness of life.

Total. Fucking. Bullshit.

Oh yeah, it was 3 degrees fahrenheit on the way to work today. This cold spell can damn well move on because I’m not in the mood.

6 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous jenny said...

Chicago's finest, indeed. Well, have a great time in Amsterdam! For your first time to Europe, you picked one crazy destination! Careful of the brownies... :)

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Sascha said...

And bring us back a report on the live sex shows!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Darren J said...

Have fun in Amsterdam! It'll be good to hear your thoughts on the place. If you like tours, I was there in the summer and had a good time on Mike's Bike Tour. The actual biking part of it is very tame. Although I don't know if it runs all year around.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger jojo said...

Ok, just so I don't disappoint everyone -- the chances of live sex shows or drug use are ridiculously low.

Live sex show + baby brother = Ick. We're from WI, not Kentucky!

He did just send me a message from Germany telling me that he probably won't get to Amsterdam until a day after I do. Sorta scary.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Frick said...

read your mail properly.

The message was that I most likely WILL be in Amsterdam as planned, arriving before you, and picking you up at the airport so you don't get lost.

I said there was a small chance I might not.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Frick said...

read your mail properly.

The message was that I most likely WILL be in Amsterdam as planned, arriving before you, and picking you up at the airport so you don't get lost.

I said there was a small chance I might not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter