Sunday, November 20, 2005

Roomie Weekend

This weekend was all about my roommate's organized events.

Friday night he organized a Pub Crawl in our 'hood, Chicago's Ukranian Village. This was super fun. I ate varenky (saurkraut filled dumplings w/ mushroom gravy) and borsht at the first place -- it was pretty good, but not the type of food that I want to eat regularly. On we marched and met up with my friend Isaac at Ola's, a bar/liquor store. It was a good time and I got to visit a lot of neighborhood bars for the first time.

There were lots of people and we tapped out the kegs at more than one establishment. Lots of these places were old-time hole in the walls where English was not the primary language spoken. We probably tripled (or more) their receipts for the night in the hour we spent at each place. Good stuff.

Saturday Paul and I spent collecting ingredients for and cooking dinner for my roommate and our friends Anne and Grant. John and Grant had a gig at the Hideout for their band, Illinois First. This was absolutely fun -- lots of dancing to the silly-but-accurate songs about Illinois history. For the second night in a row, I went to sleep smelling of smoke.

The Hbar has spoiled me from smoky bars. Chicago is considering passing a smoking ban for its bars/restaurants. Even though this could cut into the Hbar's business, I woul totally love for that to actually happen. There are gads of public-safety requirements (health code/fire code/liquor-licensing....) that the Hbar and other bars/restaurants have to conform to -- I don't understand why the debate over smoking pits this issue as if it though were an unprecidented infringement on the choice of business owners.

5 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Jeremy said...

Business owners put up a stink here in toronto when the city first passed it's smoking ban, but a few years later i don't see people staying home; rather, they're just getting used to smoking on the sidewalk, or not at all. once you rip off the band-aid, it's amazing how fast people adapt.
tbere's always the "smokers' rights" pundits. don't get me started on those people...

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Frick said...

There are gads of public-safety requirements (health code/fire code/liquor-licensing....) that the Hbar and other bars/restaurants have to conform to..

If you did a survey amongst your patrons, I doubt any of them would say they'd like to get salmonella, be trapped in a burning building, or be served wood alchohol. Even if they did, I'm sure they wouldn't list it as one of the reasons they like going to bars.

Personally, I think the decission should be left to bar owners. Why don't you make the Hbar non smoking? You could potentially pick up business, if its not law, and you provide an alternative to other establishments. The Hbar could be ideal, since it probably has a slightly different demographic than other bars. Ok scratch that, make it no tobacco smoking. I think its an over extension of government power to ban smoking in your business. After saying that though, I should mention that CA and AZ are both non-smoking states, and I love it. Love it, Love it, Love it. Its awesome. I don't have to shower Saturday or Sunday mornings if I'm not leaving the house. It's great. I totally take it for granted until I visit home.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger jojo said...

Frick,

The Hbar is non-smoking. Our business could get hurt if this customer niche suddenly has a bazillion more non-smoking options.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger George said...

This might be a touch radical, but I think smoking anywhere except inside of your house or car(with the windows closed in both places)oughta be illegal.

I smoked for 20 years and quitting was the 2nd best thing I ever did.

Talking my wife into marrying me was the first best thing:-)

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Jeremy said...

"I think its an over extension of government power to ban smoking in your business."

How is that true? It isn't an extention of government power to enfoce regulations about sanitation / garbage or food refrigeration, etc. Second Hand smoke is as much of a health hazard.
Besides, it ends up costing the government money when they have to treat people for the effects of smoke or 2nd hand smoke (which is probably worse).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter