Monday, November 07, 2005

Rock-climbing

Paul and I went indoor rock climbing on Friday night. Damn – am I a chicken about falling. I nearly cried each time I had to let go of the wall and relax into my harness. By ‘relax into my harness’ I mean clutch the support rope in a death grip with both hands, flex all of my muscles, whimper and start sweating profusely and breathing heavily. The people next to me on the wall or on the balconies were concerned/laughing at my obvious fear.

Twice I tried to rest before continuing to climb, but as one guy pointed out – " you are using a hell of a lot more energy hanging in your harness than you use hanging on the wall." It’s true – holding onto the wall was easy – letting go was excrutiatingly difficult and hanging in the air was horrifying. I’m a big friggin’ chicken.

Still, except for my terrifying moments in the air – I really dig climbing. Paul liked it a lot, too. We hope to start going regularly once our schedules calm down a bit – which probably means 2006. He’s in his work-crunch time of year and I only have three more ‘normal’ weeks left in 2005.

3 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Frick said...

about time.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger equipoise said...

Glad you got your feet wet - I was thinking we could go bouldering at Midwest Mountaineering bouldering cave this weekend - I've never been to their cave, but I want to give it a shot.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger jojo said...

Midwest Mountaineering Bouldering Cave?

Not to be completely retarded, but is this a cold, muddy, slimy, dark, dank actual cave....OR is it some indoor man made creation?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter