Monday, November 07, 2005

Fletcher

The first floor dog Fletcher I am beginning to really hate. His owners are Matt and Kimmie, both probably about my age. They drink a lot. They both work at health clubs. She is a spinning instructor who doesn’t own a bike and he works as a personal trainer. She is about 30-40 pounds overweight, he is probably 50. I don’t understand it. He also works as a substitute teacher and generally seems dumb as a post.

They bought a dog in early summer. I was worried because they seemed so irresponsible. It was a cute puppy. Now it is a mangy dog. They often don’t pick up its poop from the yard, the breezeway or the walk. It poops in my herb garden sometimes and he never cleans it up– Matt says it is helping to fertilize the ground. Fucker. I was taking in my herbs last weekend when Fletcher was let out – he ran straight for the garden and pissed. Matt laughed.

They often don’t come home for long periods of time and then Fletcher barks. He usually doesn’t begin barking until about 9-10PM. I think this means they haven’t been home all day. It used to bark when they left for work in the morning, but I haven’t heard that recently. I really hope that if this is a pseudo-child experiment, that they both get sterilized immediately. They should not be in charge of another creature.

Matt and Kimmie always want the gates closed so they can just let the dog loose out the back without having to go outside with it. Fair enough. However, there are several times when I come home and the dog is in the yard – and obviously wants to escape into the alley. I yell for it to back away from the gate so I can enter my yard. Kimmie will hear this and direct, "don’t let him out!" but not come outside to help with the situation. I’m wheeling my bike and don’t have spare hands to hold the dog back.

Recently the dog has begun jumping up on me – dirty paw prints and all. So far this has only been in scruffy clothes, but I swear if that dog tries to jump on me when I am in business clothes, it is getting kicked. This morning Kimmie was doing laundry in the basement when I went to get my bike – Fletcher was with her and tried jumping all over me. I completely yelled at him and Kimmie thanked me for ‘helping to train him’ but once again didn’t march over to physically restrain the mutt. Earlier in summer there was dogshit in our storage space. Grrrrr.

I don’t like dogs by the way. I grew up out in the country where dogs were territorial and oftentimes mean. I don’t trust dogs that I don’t know. I hate many city dogs and their owners. Dogs off leash make me nervous. Dogs charging at me while their owners yell something along the lines of, "don’t worry, she only wants to kiss you" drive me mad. I don’t want to be licked, sniffed or jumped on by random dogs. I don’t think this is unreasonable. However, now we have Fletcher.

After writing this, it is obvious that I need to have a calm conversation with Matt and Kimmie about their dog. Other critisicm by other people in the building have not been well-received. Kimmie and Matt accuse the poop/barking on Gabe the other dog in the building. Sorry, but Gabe is older and super-mellow. We never had barking or poop problems until Fletcher arrived (actually, Gabe’s owner says that she often picks up Fletcher’s poop – it may be that Fletcher’s owners never pick up his poop from our yard). Paul has had very few interactions with the dog and he already hates it/the owners. Paul likes dogs and doesn’t get annoyed as easily as I do, so I feel justified in my annoyance.

Also, I recently saw a woman carrying a small dog in the produce store. Last night a girl was holding a kitten in the grocery store. WTF? Animals in food stores? This is just not acceptable.

4 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Sascha said...

Been to europe lately? Dogs in restaurants and the whole nine yards. Better get used to thinking about it now if you're heading over there soon.

Oh, and people smoking *everywhere*

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Frick said...

But what you didn't cover, was whether or not Fletcher matched his owner. You have to realize the real purpose of a dog is as a fashion accessory to its owner. As long as that is covered, all is well.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger jojo said...

Frick,

This isn't a tiny fashion accessory dog. This is a 'starter-baby", testing the frigid waters of commitment type of dog.

Sascha--

Thanks for the warning about European dogs. Are they at least well trained?

I already knew about the smoking....sigh.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Sascha said...

The only ones I saw were sitting still and behaving themselves. It was just a shock to see it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter