Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Bikey-Drinkey Outing

As you all know, Sascha didn’t wear underpants.

We arranged for several of us to meet at Park and the Greenway. Me and the Bro were running late – first because he was adding a fender to his mtn bike, and then right when we were almost out the door, I realized I didn’t have my ID. I tore through my belongings and couldn’t find it. I was fearful that I left it at Midwest Mountaineering while I tried on clothes. This could cause huge problems getting back to Chicago. Finally, I found it and off we went.

I was roasting in my rain pants, rain coat and new snowboarding helmet. When we met with Sascha, Scott and Andy I stripped out of my rain gear. A block later it lightening, then it thundered, rain started falling and then it fell heavier. I pulled over under a large overhang to reapply the raingear. This is how raingear works – taking it off is irresistible to the RainGods and they are forced to deliver a downpour.

While I put the raingear back on, Sascha remembered that we were supposed to wait forAnnie and Nate at the Greenway. She immediately called them to inform them what a bad friend she was and where we were. It was pouring pretty bad, but Annie and Nate set off to meet us while we stayed cozy and dry under the overhang. Annie was on a clunky hybrid and we all set off into the rain for Psycho Suzie. She was funny to watch as she frantically pedaled and seemed to attempt to get into the imaginary drops of her hybrid.

At first the bouncers told us that there wasn’t room for us. This was incredible since it wasn’t even 8:30. We decided to go somewhere else and sent someone in for Gilby. Then other patrons left and we got tables amidst mass confusion. Sascha switched from the status of ‘Worst Friend Ever’ to ‘Great Friend’ when she picked up the first round of drinks. Nate ordered the Flaming Volcano after he received assurances from the rest of this lightweight group that we’d help him drink it. One of my bro’s friends, Landon, showed up, too.

We were seated in booths, which meant that mingling wasn’t very easy. My bro and I sat with Gilby and Andy. It was nice to speak with Gilby because I met her when she stayed at my place in Chicago, but I felt bad that I wasn’t chatting w/ Sascha and Annie. Too bad Gilby isn’t coming to Chicago as forecast. Conversation veered from the sexual habits of Furries to Body Sushi. Gilby thinks body sushi would be improved if instead of an attractive young woman as a platter, she was presented with a rotund, hairy man. My bro didn’t think he would be able to resist dipping his chopstick into the platter’s belly button. Tickling the platter, or making the platter sneeze with black pepper were options for body sushi trouble-making. Gilby was concerned about platter molestation.

Then two tables eventually opened up so we could interact as a single group. The Volcano was becoming depleted and its fire was burnt out. When our last glasses were drained, we decided to move.

We biked to Grunions to have some more booze, ignoring Landon’s attempt to take us on a route that would get us dirty (?). We were told that the bar was a small, hole-in-the-wall place, but it was pretty big and contained lots of people. I think we were the only helmeted people in the joint. I don’t know if it was the physical set-up, or the creeping intoxication, but we mingled more at this joint, and conversation seemed easy and natural.

Good Times.

7 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Frick said...

snowboarding helmet???

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger equipoise said...

I think the name of the place is Runyons. Grunions are small fish that mate on beaches at high tide :-)

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Tincéir said...

Bummed that I couldn't hook up with you guys. Jojo- your blog is hysterical (another feminine word) and it's part of my daily reading. Maybe next time...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger annie said...

YOU try and go fast while sitting perfectly upright like some British cop on a horse! You get better leverage if you lean forward, I swear.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger jojo said...

Annie--

I used to ride hybrids, so I know all about riding them. I thought you kept pace really well. I didn't mean any offense, but your posture was damn funny at times.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger annie said...

I'm not offended, I thought it was hilarious too. That's what I meant when I said I was pedaling like a first-grader terrorizing the neighborhood on a tricycle.... I haven't ridden that bike in AGES. I'd forgotten what it was like.

You'll all be sorry when I get the Pepsi bike though!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Tim Jackson- Masi Guy said...

Sascha...what's with the underpants-lessness? I'm shocked. No, really.

I can't wait to get out to the Chicago and Minneapolis areas this year as I travel with my sales force. I will definitely bring some free bike crap and use the company card to buy a round or 12... you guys/gals are all potential customers... so it makes sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter