Friday, October 14, 2005

Bathroom Etiquette

Maybe I am in the minority, but I knock before entering closed bathroom doors in peoples’ homes and many public restrooms, too.

My roommate John has guests staying at our place, and once again someone just tried to barge into the bathroom this morning. The ‘lock’ on our bathroom sucks, and really only slows down the opening of the door. However, I don’t understand why people don’t knock when presented with a closed bathroom door.

After I got out of the shower this morning there was a knock at the door. I replied, ‘occupied’ and the person asked me what I said, so I said it louder. Does it matter what I said? Hearing a voice coming from the bathroom should really be all of the information needed. Anyway, just a couple of minutes later somebody just tried barging in. I think it was the same guy. He acted shocked and embarrassed that someone was in the bathroom and immediately apologized.

It put me in a surly mood for the rest of the morning. I like the idea of us having houseguests. I can’t understand at all how so many people just try to fling open closed bathroom doors in other peoples’ homes. To me a closed door signals a strong likelihood that someone is inside – therefore Knock. I’ve learned to lock the door when there are strangers in the house, but don’t like knowing that if I forget, I am likely to have a stranger in the bathroom with me while I am showering or peeing. Grrrrr..... Prior to these experiences, I assumed that houseguests try hard to be inobtrusive out of gratitude for hospitality.

Am I crazy, or is this a justified pet peeve?

2 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger Sascha said...

justified.

Get a door wedge for the inside ;)

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger filtersweep said...

We keep our bathroom door closed at all times. It is a cultural feature of my wife. It actually makes sense, although it confounds guests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter