Thursday, September 29, 2005

My Crazy Fucking Office & Ruined Weekend Plans

Wednesday:

Spent all morning in court monitoring a super-high profile police brutality/forced confession/wrongful death row conviction motion hearing.

Finally got a phone call from a convicted serial rapist of nine woman. Was so excited that I was able to speak with him and arrange an interview that I forgot to be completely creeped out. Actually gushed, "please call collect anytime you want, I have directed the secretaries to always accept your call." Blech. I need to bathe.

Had to go out to the god-forsaken suburb to surrender my sex-offender ward to the police for booking. I felt completely stupid and inadequate because my knowledge of police procedure & criminal law is so woefully inadequate. It shows, too. I hate these files.

Back in Chicago, I got disoriented coming out of the train station and wandered a bit in the wrong direction. It was dark, raining and I was wearing heels. I got pissed because at damn near every taxi line there was an obnoxious homeless-looking guy offering to hail a cab for people. Fuck you, dude – the cabs are already lined up. Besides I can certainly hail a cab for myself. Why in the world do you expect me to tip you for being an obnoxious opportunistic jackass? My stubbornness unreasonably kicked in, so I walked over a mile back to my office in heels. This was stupid, because I am trying to be very good to my knee. Luckily I only got a blister and my knee feels fine.

Thursday:
Receive an email directing all attorneys and paralegals to report to the office on Saturday morning. Fuck. I was scheduled to go hiking and meet the bros in Madison, WI this weekend. The office is taking its most important case to trial on Friday, so it is an ‘all hands on deck’ situation.

EXCEPT for the fact that I am not even assigned to work on that trial and barely know enough of the facts to really be useful.

EXCEPT for the fact that our crazy boss has all of the secretaries and most of the paralegals doing fundraising work for his pet charity. This means that even though we are on the eve of trial, the attorneys are doing their own photo-copying, filing & general office work. The boss hired a temp for the next few weeks – to do fund-raising work. The boss has directed that the charity work take precedent over the ‘real’ office work.
This might not seem like a huge deal, but it is truly perplexing and fucked up. There is no reason why are office is both on ‘Red Alert’ and we are deprived of our support staff. Plus, the client should not have to pay $200 +/hour for attorneys to alphabetize exhibits and photocopy. So fucking unprofessional.

EXCEPT also for the fact that the boss sprung this on everyone at basically the last minute. My paralegal had airplane tickets purchased to visit a friend: tough shit. EM, another attorney, has to miss a friend’s wedding. too bad. My weekend plans are ruined unless I can call down a miracle of mercy. This trial date has been scheduled for months. Certainly, the bosses (who have been through this sort of huge trial before) knew far in advance that we’d have this sort of weekend scramble. They could have alerted us months ago to not commit to any out-of-town plans for this weekend(s).

They each make so much money that losing money on canceled trips might not seem like a big deal, however that certainly isn’t true for my paralegal. This is such bullshit. Last time we had one of these emergency weekend meetings, I ended up working until about 9:00PM and then all day Sunday, too. Fuck this bullshit.

5 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Frick said...

You really need to tell your boss to get this crap together. Seriously. Just explain to him how normal people/offices opperate. And demand that he reimburse the paralegal. Just totally uncalled for.

Or what happens if you just say no? What is he going to do?

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger George said...

Now keep in mind that I only make donuts for a living..........but you are only an attorney.

It's not like either one of us have a "life or death" kind of job whereas if we call in sick someone might die.

If it was me?

Fuck it, I'd not show up Saturday or Sunday.

What's the worse thing that could happen?

You'd get fired.

Sounds like they might be doing you a favor:-)

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger annie said...

I would make my boss reimburse me if he did that. But my office has food fights, so maybe your attorneys are a little less approachable. Hell, I made my boss give me $5 for downtown parking once when he decided at 4 that he needed something couriered by 5, and guess what, the courier service didn't have anybody available. I didn't think his procrastination was more important than my five dollars. He said "oh, sure, here's ten. And you can come in late tomorrow if you want, too." My job is pretty crappy, but at least I have a nice boss.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Scott E Rob said...

The other individuals commenting on this post clearly have missed the opportunity of legal travails. This type of thing is SOP. These particular circumstances are...odd, certainly, but not beyond the pale.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger annie said...

scott e rob, i guess i didn't specify, but i am a paralegal and that bullshit is NOT standard in my office. just for the record.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter