Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Gimpy

I somehow fucked up my left knee. This worries me.

Sometime yesterday I realized that my knee felt stiff, but nothing too bad. As the night went on, it got worse. When we got back to Paul’s place I considered just locking it to the fence outside because I didn’t want to carry it up the steps because of my knee, but I did anyway. I didn’t mention anything to anyone, because it didn’t seem like a big deal.

This morning I woke up and it didn’t want to bend. It was much stiffer than the previous night. When I forced it to bend, it couldn’t bend as tightly as my right knee. When it is bent too far my whole knee area starts to feel like it is asleep – especially if I put weight on it. Damn it. We noticed that the lower outside part of this knee was puffy while the same spot on the right knee was convex. Strained muscle was Paul’s guess. I don’t know about such things because my body normally behaves.

I didn’t have enough time to take public transportation (and more importantly, I am too stubborn), so I tried to ride without using my left leg as much as possible. I wish I would have went home for the Bianchi, because riding like this is much easier on him. I rode almost an entire Critical Mass using only my right leg to pedal, while I tucked my left foot behind me and rested it on my rear rack. The Julep doesn’t have a rack, so I kept my left foot just barely on the pedal and concentrated on not pedaling with that leg. I think I did a pretty good job except for starting up and stopping – then I could feel the strain in my knee.

There are only two things that I can think of that caused this weirdness. First, to my embarrassment, it might have been caused when I took the tall step, in heels, with my bike up onto the train. Maybe this is punishment for immediately being offended when the guy offered to help me yesterday. The only other weird thing was that on the way home I rode in heels (normally I am clipped in) over an extremely bumpy section of road. I remember this was weird because, without being clipped in, my left leg bounced off of the pedals a few times and it sort of felt like the Julep was ‘kicking’ me, even as I tried to keep my pedaling continuous. Grrrrrrr.....

At work I have been limping around to try to put as little strain on the knee as possible– and it doesn’t seem to be getting better. I realized that the puffy spot was hot to the touch, so I’ve tied a frozen water bottle to the knee with a scarf. Super-styling.

I am not at all pleased with this development. After I get home, the Julep is getting stabled until this knee feels better. Any thoughts on what the hell this weirdness is?

Oh yeah, it doesn’t actually hurt. It just feels......wrong.

5 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, Blogger Frick said...

If the swelling seems to be coming from inside the knee, the simplest explanation is that it is just some fluid buildup, most likely caused just by doing something awkward to it, and then continually stressing it afterwards. Minimize movement, take lots of vitamin I, and ice if possible. (morning, evening, maybe lunch. Ice cubes directly on skin works well) Icing will substantially quicken healing time.
Does that seem to describe it, or does it seem more like you can pinpoint it to a particular muscle?

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger hereNT said...

Not sure on the injury, but I've found a clipped fix ride can be really easy with one leg if you're willing to slow it down a bit... The wheels help keep the pedals moving on the upstroke...

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger George said...

I make donuts for a living but I'm married to a nurse.

Whenever my knees ache in a similar manner (usually after riding my SS mountain bike) she tells me to keep ice on them for as long as I can stand it.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger jojo said...

The knee is much better. It still feels weird, but has its full range of motion back.

I've been icing it at work, and concentrating on not pedaling with it.

I switched over to the Bianchi, but initially found I couldn't bend my leg comfortably onto my rack.

The julep will probably come out tomorrow for the ease of pedaling with one leg as mentioned above.

Thanks for the advice -- I can't wait untill this knee is normal again.

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get rid of the fixed gear. Gear down, slow down and enjoy the ride. 100 mile rides are not good for anyone's health. Go slow. It doesn't hurt as much when you fall.

Carl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter