Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Clippity clip and tattoos

The clips are working pretty well--I am often engaging immediately, and the problems clipping in are becoming less frequent. The fear of forgetting to unclip is also reducing. In anticipation of clipping into a fixie, I'm also trying to only clip-in the second foot as the pedals are turning. After two days of trying this technique, it really doesn't seem much harder than clipping in while coasting on the bike. Since this is all new to me, I may as well learn how to do it right now, instead of having to relearn it later.

I had a lunch meeting today that I rode to in the rain. It was only a few blocks away, so I wore my heeled boots instead of the clipless shoes. The combination of boots, and wet, slippery clipless pedals was not particularly good. I had to concentrate the whole ride on keeping my feet firmly on the pedals. Unacceptable.

Besides going to Working Bikes this weekend to get an older, everyday road bike, I think I will also start experimenting with installing cleats on 'normal' shoes. At the Cycling Sisters meeting on Sunday, I mentioned that I was going to try this out. Everyone was very excited about this idea, and I was signed up to teach a workshop on converting regular shoes into clipless--so I best get started. Bike shoes are really dorky-looking, and as much as I dress like a dork, even I can't feel comfortable wearing the bike shoes with my regular clothes. So I'll stop at Goodwill sometime this week and look for some thick/lugged-soled candidates to experiment with. Hopefully I will be successful and soon have at least a pair of mary janes to clip in.

I possibly gave myself a tattoo tonight at work. Absentmindedly I grabbed a pen and began playing with it while talking to my boss. I wasn't paying attention and jammed the point into the palm of my hand. For some reason I didn't want my boss to know how stupid I had just been, so I pretended nothing happened, and kept my bloody hand out of sight until he left my office. After washing it off, there is definitely ink still in my skin. Time will tell whether or not it is at the correct depth to permanently mark me, or whether it will surface and wear off. I sort of think it would be cool if it stayed--as a small, permanent reminder to not be such a dumbass.

5 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Frick said...

I remember a story about a little girl getting her hair curled by her mother with an electric curling iron. The little girl had washed out the curl job given the previous night, which infuriated the short tempered mother, and lead to the repeat curling in the morning. Not wanting to anger the mother any more, the girl said nothing when the mother accidently rested the hot iron on the childs skull while waiting for a curl to set. Instead, the girl just sat there, tears swelling, not saying a word. But that was a six year old. I'm sure she grew up and got over her stubborness.

As far as the shoes go. Here are my thoughts. The rubber will not be solid enough to hold screws, so I think one of three things will be needed:

-A shoe with a solid plastic or wood sole that will hold screws

-A shoe with room for an insole that could cover up an anchor plate inside the shoe

-A thick enough sole that could be sliced through parallelly, and have an enternal cavity carved out to put a mounting plate.

I guess experimentation will tell.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger jojo said...

Actually, I think I was 7 or 8--and I got yelled at anyway for not letting her know that she was burning my skin. An early lesson in life that sometimes you just can't win.

But a perfect example of how well I've done curbing my stubborness as an adult.

BTW: Someone found my blog by Googling 'Stubborness.' tehehe.

I hope to find a pair of slightly platform-style mary janes to carve up (I will need to recess the clips, unlike serious racing shoes). I absolutely plan on using an anchor plate inside the shoe, too. I expect to destroy several pairs of shoes before I figure this out.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Frick said...

Why show people how to make their shoes, when you could instead sell them sylish shoes clippless shoes.....

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Sascha said...

Jeremy and I have been exploring the possibility of converting some girls shoes to cleated riders. Although I think it may have been forgotten in the excitement of tonight's police auction.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger hereNT said...

I just keep forgetting to look for the right stuff when I'm at the hardware store. Gilby had some concerns about my idea - it probably wouldn't be strong enough. At least for fixed gear use.

http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/boots.html

There's not much that I can find on the net about doing it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter