Thursday, March 03, 2005

Morning Madness

I waste tons of time every morning. Chicago Tribune, New York Times, emails....these are all things I feel completely entitled to do every morning. It seems uncivilized that I should go to work without these pleasures under my belt.

Unfortunately I often don't allocate enough time to fit everything in that I originally planned on doing. Somedays I cut out taking a shower--Hey, if it's good enough for camping, it's good enough for the office. Generally, some chore that I planned on doing before work just gets pushed back later. So even though recently I have been up and awake for at least two hours before work starts, my last ten minutes are a frantic rush.

Picking out clothes has been time-consuming lately and I don't quite know why. I still dress like a dork, but for some reason I put thought into the exact manifestation of dorkiness to sport each day. What an absolute waste of time.

This morning though I was even more ridiculous than usual. I was running late and rushing around, chiding myself for wasting time yet again. Searching for my sunglasses I glimpsed a temporary tattoo. Sure enough, moments later, when I should have been on the road, I was instead in the bathroom applying the tattoo. Obviously this was an extremely pressing matter that needed immediate attention. I mean, how could I expect to function at work knowing I passed up a fake tattoo?

If I was a teenager I think this sort of behavior would be considered a mild form of rebelling or acting out--it's at least counter-productive and slightly sabotaging to myself. Whatever it is, I don't like it and need to stop. If I was on the ball, I'd just wake up, get ready and go to work. Then during the day I could enjoy newspaper and email breaks, without the morning stress of being late.

I have to go straight to court tomorrow morning, so hopefully that will motivate me to get my ass in gear. Blech--court also means that I should at least be minimally respectable-looking. What a shame. It's a Friday and my boss said he won't be in for most of the day, and might not come in at all--I could have kicked around in the clothes I biked in. OK--scratch that, it's probably best that I have to go in to court because I don't need to lower my professionalism even worse than it already is. I aspire to be in court on time, clean and presentable.

1 Comments:

At 2:43 AM, Blogger Frick said...

Oh my god. I can't think of the last time that you shocked me. The temporary tattoo, thing, however, wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter