Saturday, January 22, 2005

Sick Days

On Thursday morning my boss walked into my office to ask how I was feeling. I said "better, but still not good" and he sent me home. I told him I would leave after I briefed him for a meeting with a client we had scheduled later that morning, but he sent me home immediately. [My guess is that a sentence along the lines of, "I'm sorry I am not as prepared for this meeting as I should be, but the attorney who handles all of the details has been sick all week and busy with other matters. Today I finally sent her home so she can get better, but unfortunately I don't know all of the details of the file. Shrewd, devious and very smart.]

At first I thought that going home was nice, but quite unneccesary. I have certainly worked when I felt worse. However, both the ride to and from work (I pretended I was going to take the Blue Line home, but just couldn't bring myself to do it) hurt my lungs and chest and took a lot of energy. I know that the ridiculously low air in my rear tire contributes to this, but my lack of giddyup was the main cause. At home I tried to nap, but basically just layed around all day under blankets. Boring, but cozy. I had locked my bike downstairs in the foyer to melt off the nasty slush before bringing it into my kitchen. I brought it up to the 3rd floor around 4:00 so it wouldn't be there when people came home from work. This little ascent completely kicked my butt. I was panting with pain in my lungs by the time I got it in the door. It finally hit me, "I actually am sick."

It seems like I may have spread it around the office, too. Several other people are getting achey and "feel like crap." My boss is starting to cough and sneeze, too. This is one of results of the few times I do get sick--most everyone in my vicinity without a similar kick-ass immune systems becomes incapacitated.

Luckily on Friday I felt significantly better, and today--aside from a mucus increase, I feel fine.


2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger equipoise said...

I used to be a tough guy like you - rarely got sick, but when I did I put on my "you ain't gonna get me down" face and slugged through it. Until I realized that given a choice, I'd rather pick up the slack for a sick coworker than get sick myself. So now on the rare occasions when I get sick, I try to be a good corporate slave and take the day off, or at least work from home.

Oh, and by the way, why the biking when you're getting sick? I recognize the desire to prove yourself (I'm the same way) but also recognize that there's a difference between being tough, and being self-defeatist. I'd take the Blue Line.

Anyway, hope you're feeling better :-)

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger jojo said...

There are multiple reasons I continued to ride, stubborness of course playing its part. However, except for that day, riding actually made me feel better, by working some of the aches out of my body. Most importantly though, it cleared my mind and forced me away from my wallowing tendencies. Curling up into a ball and biking are just not compatible. Besides, my rides to and from work is often the best part of the day for me, so why would I want to trade that for the train?

As of Sunday I feel basically back to normal, but too much laughter sets of a coughing fit (angry, dying seal) that sounds much worse than I feel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter